Last Saturday, Jason and a couple of our friends went to the Championship Bout Minnesota Rollergirls Derby at Roy Wilkins Auditorium in Saint Paul. This was my second time attending the awesome, totally aggressive and woman powered series of jams and the last one for the season. We happened this time to be lucky enough to have scored some on the floor seats from a friend of ours who could not attend that night. While I loved seeing it on the balcony last time, on the floor and close to the action was was more fun and entertaining. It also gave me a great chance to take some awesome photographs! The battles between the Dagger Dolls and the Garda Belts in two different halves were amazing with some good, high-scoring jams and some aggressive falls.
I cheer for the Garda Belts because I absolutely love Suzie Smashbox who is a fast jammer and also a good weaver between some good blockers.
I picked up the rules pretty quickly but rather than spend this blog writing them all out, check out the Rollergirls site for more details.
The main bout was between the Atomic Bombshells and the Rockits. I cheer for the Bombshells with my favorite skater, L'exi Cuter.
There was a full house on Saturday and tons of loud cheering, swearing, standing and shouting and whole-hearted enthusiasm when the Atomic Bombshells won the Golden Skate.
OK, so why do I love the Minnesota Rollergirls?
1. It is all women competing.
2. Each skater is their own independent personality with a unique take on their uniform.
3. The crowd is a great mix of people with no pretentious personalities.
4. The semi-punk look and style.
5. The rules are easy to follow and it is fast paced but easy to watch.
6. It is a sport both my husband and I love to watch together.
7. The poster art for the bouts are designed well and are often silkscreened.
8. The competitors are average women who happen to love the sport and have a lot of enthusiasm for the fans.
It is yet another reason I love living in Minnesota and a great addition to my year!